Saturday, May 26, 2012

Pekin Duck

On the left you will see a "manky mallard," but on the right is the Pekin Duck. The Pekin Duck is a domesticated duck and isn't normally listed in birding guides. However, we spotted this one in the wild, so I'm counting it. I guess it wanted its freedom.

The "manky mallard" is also a form of the wild Mallard, but its variations come from domestication as well. Wild mallards typically have a white ring around the base of their necks rather than a white bib like you see here.


Spotted 5/25/12 on Watauga Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love hearing from you. If you can help me out with identifying any of these mystery birds or correct any mistakes I've made in identifying the others, I would so appreciate it! Happy Birding!