Saturday, May 26, 2012

Rough-Winged Swallow


Ok, these aren't the best pictures, so my best guess for this guy is a Rough-Winged Swallow. It's either that or a Bank Swallow. It definitely had a "swallow"-like flight pattern, shape, and call. He was so stinkin' fast though, that I couldn't get a clearly focused shot. Both the rough-winged swallow and the bank swallow like to live near or around rivers or lakes, and this bird was nesting underneath my parents' boat dock.

Both species have brown backs, which you can see this one has...





Here you can see it lacks the long, pointy forked tail of a barn swallow...





I'm going with rough-winged, however, because in the photo below, it looks like it has a dusky throat, as opposed to the clearly marked dark breastband that bank swallows have. So, Rough-Winged is my story, and I'm stickin' to it. If you have other thoughts, please let me know...


Spotted 5/25/12 on Watauga Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love hearing from you. If you can help me out with identifying any of these mystery birds or correct any mistakes I've made in identifying the others, I would so appreciate it! Happy Birding!