Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Unknowns - Please Help!

As is often the case, I came back from my birding outings this week with a few mystery bird photos, and I'm hoping you might help me identify them. I apologize for the poor photo quality - I realize it makes them difficult to identify. But I thought I'd throw these out there to see if any of you expert birders can help me out. Thanks!

Unknown # 1

I'm thinking maybe a Common Grackle or a Boat-Tailed Grackle? It looked too big to be a Red-Winged Blackbird, and I couldn't see any red on its wings.


Unknown #2

This one was taken through a window on a very overcast, rainy day, and the bird kept moving around on the feeder really quickly, so I didn't get any photos in focus. It was a very non-descript, smallish bird (bigger than a sparrow, but smaller than a cardinal). It was fairly plain - a grayish-brown color all over (including the beak), with no very distinct markings. From what I can remember and see in the photos, my best guess would be either a female of any of the following species:
Blue Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
or Lazuli Bunting.

What are your thoughts?




If you can help me with either of the above birds, please leave me your input in the comment section. Thanks so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love hearing from you. If you can help me out with identifying any of these mystery birds or correct any mistakes I've made in identifying the others, I would so appreciate it! Happy Birding!