Monday, May 14, 2012

Update on Our Not So Big Year

As you may have noticed, I haven't posted in a while. This is due to the fact that we've had a hiccup in the plans for our Not So Big Year. Supposedly, the others involved said they weren't ready yet... something about not having cameras or something. However, I think it's due to the fact that I was creaming them.

At any rate, we're starting over.... the date will be sometime soon - I'll post when I know for sure.... So I suppose all of my hard work thus far will just have to be chalked up to practice. The good news is, if you're interested in joining in with us, there's still time. Just let me know (either in the comments, or shoot me an e-mail), and you can participate in our contest.

In the mean time, I'll share with you a few photos of our bird lures and blinds that we set up in the driveway and woods by our house.

This is the bird stand I set up by my kitchen window... this was taken before the squirrels and other critters totally trampled the flowers in the pot in their nefarious attempts to steal the seeds. If you're wondering what all the white stuff is - it's diatomaceous earth - we were being invaded by ants at the time.

Here is Josh, working on the latest addition to the birding sanctuary - a platform to nowhere. I'll show you the updated view of this in a moment... Kinda makes you woozy, doesn't it? Boy, did he have fun doing this...

This is the primary birding stand in the woods. It still needs some more cover - we plan to add some bamboo to cover the top and sides, so that it's more of a "blind." If you look closely, you can see the pulley system we rigged up, which has four different types of bird feeders hanging on it. This system keeps the squirrels and other big animals out of the feeders, while making it easy to refill them all at once.

Here's the almost-completed stand to nowhere... It still needs a rail (no broken necks, thank you), and some steps up to the lower platform. It screams Swiss Family Robinson, and is, frankly, a little scary to be on. Fun times.
Another view of our birding stand and pulley system.
The stand to nowhere from the other side.
The stand to nowhere again. Sorry for the darkness - the sun was setting.

A better view of one of our pulley systems. We've had to readjust some of these - something kept knocking them down when they were near the trees. I think we've got it figured out now though.



And that's all for now! If you're interested in participating in our Not So Big Year, please let me know soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love hearing from you. If you can help me out with identifying any of these mystery birds or correct any mistakes I've made in identifying the others, I would so appreciate it! Happy Birding!